Sunday, January 10, 2010

2009 NFL Season - Passer Ratings

We now have data for the entire 2009 season, and I can calculate the best and worst performers for the season, using my standard measure, CMI - or more appropriately, Standard Deviations from mean CMI.  CMI is easily calculated, as it is simply [pass completion percentage] - 3 * [interception percentage].  I can calculate that at any point during the season.  In order to calculate the standard deviations from the mean CMI, I like to wait until the season is over (actually, even this can be calculated at any point during the season, but it's a lot simpler for me to just do it at the end of the season - perhaps next year, I can do this after every week during the regular NFL season).   For those of you familiar with statistics, the measure of standard deviation from the mean is also called a z-score (or z-value).  And, furthermore, z-score can be very easily converted to a percentile rank (assuming that the population is normally distributed.  In a later post, I will show that z scores for CMTI or NFL passer rating over the years is distributed normally).  The beautiful thing about a percentile rank is that it is always a number between 0 and 100.  What's not to like about that!

A quick couple of notes here regarding CMI, and many of the calculations that I will be using from here on out. While I will go through the exercise of creating arduous, complex and sometimes arbitrary (and even unnecessary) calculations, I will strive for simplicity whenever possible when I present my ideas, as I believe they are more likely to be accepted.   The use of percentile ranks is an example of this.

Last year, when I first developed CMI, and especially as I looked back in time, I had to figure out how many players to use each year to determine the number of qualifiers.  I went through some elaborate mechanisms to calculate the number of passes attempted during the season (per team per game), and some qualifying standard.  As you are aware, the NFL uses 14 passes per game as the standard.  And yes, while it is simple to use, I am not a big fan of that standard since the average # of passes attempted per game has changed (increased) over time, as you can see from the table below.



The standard today should be closer to 16.

Last year, I arbitrarily assigned a factor close to 50% (with adjustments for the earlier years) to the total # of passes attempted by each team per game to determine the # of qualifiers.  I realized this year, that if I simply used the # of teams in the league as the cutoff for determining the # of qualifiers, I get fairly close to my original method.  And because it is simple, easy to explain, does a better job (in my opinion, anyway) than the current NFL standard, I will use that as the cutoff.  The table below shows the # of qualifiers by season using the NFL standard, my original standard, and my current standard.




As you can see, the # of qualifiers, regardless of which method you select is fairly close in each year, with the exceptions being the earliest years, where the NFL method simply excludes too many passers (in my opinion anyway).  Also note that the the AAFC is excluded by the NFL altogether, while the AFL and NFL have been combined in the years 1960-1969 by the NFL.  This doesn't make sense to me, since each league played a different # of games (and had a different # of teams).  Regardless, if you combine the AFL and NFL results from my method, you get close to the #s used by the NFL.  While I think that my method works, I also recognize that this standard may not be the most appropriate for future NFL seasons.

OK, back to the passer ratings.

Because I will discuss other passer rating systems/calculations that are related to CMI in later posts, I will take this moment to re-classify CMI as CMTI (acronym stands for Completions Minus Three times Interceptions).  The definition itself hasn't changed - just the acronym.

The table below shows each of the qualifying quarterbacks with their 2009 season's statistics, their NFL passer rating, the percentile rank of their 2009 NFL passer rating (in other words, the converted z-scores), their 2009 rank in terms of NFL passer rating, their 2008 NFL passer rating, the percentile rank of their 2008 NFL passer rating, their 2008 NFL passer rating rank, their 2009 CMTI, 2009 CMTI percentile rank, their 2008 CMTI and 2008 CMTI percentile rank, and their 2008 CMTI ranking, and finally, their average 2-year CMTI percentile rank (again a # between 0 and 100), together with that ranking.

I don't think there's any question as to who the elite quarterbacks are.  Also notice the struggles of first-year quarterbacks in each year.


No comments: