Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A Few Weeks Off

I took a few weeks off from posting.  It was necessary for several reasons.  

First, I do have a day job as the Chief Financial Officer of InsWeb Corporation, a publicly traded company (NASDAQ CM: INSW).  The months of March and April, I get particularly absorbed in my work as we have to officially close the books for the prior fiscal year (in this case the year ending December 31, 2008), and we have to get prepared for closing the books for the first quarter of 2009.  This is followed by a meeting with our Board of Directors.  It is an extremely busy time, and a very important time for our business.  

Second, posting a blog (the way I do it), takes a lot of time, as I spend considerable time before posting doing a lot of research, as I like to support my arguments with facts and analyses.  

Third, I got distracted by a couple of things.  The "event" known as March Madness - the NCAA basketball tournament, and the 2009 Major League Baseball season.  Well, not the baseball season per se, but the fantasy baseball leagues that I participate in.  Preparing for these takes up a lot of time.

Fourth, I needed a break.

Well, I'm back at it.  I have two immediate topics that I'd like to cover.  

The first is the trade of Jay Cutler from the Denver Broncos to the Chicago Bears.  Quick, name three quarterbacks who, like Cutler, finished their second year in the NFL (technically, 2008 was Cutler's third season, but the way I count it, it was his second season throwing enough passes to qualify for a rating) last year that are arguably better than Jay Cutler.  Didn't think you could do it.  I'll have the answers in my next post.  The answers might surprise you.

The second is the NFL draft.  I have a lot of observations about the draft.  I won't be discussing whether Matthew Stafford will be a better NFL quarterback than Mark Sanchez.  Why?  Because I don't know.  And neither do you.  And nor does anyone else.  Only time will tell.  And even then, we may never know.

No comments: